Friday, May 22, 2009

Shoes, space between the thighs and much more

What? the title didn't make much sense?

Let me explain. I am a year and a half out form my Roux-n-Y gastric bypass surgery. Almost a year (about 10 months) out from the weight just seemingly coming off like magic. So, I've had about 10 months of working out, counting calories, weighing myself every Sunday, shrinking clothes and dropping inches. Yet, some things still awe and shock me. Like:

1. These shoes:

Even a year ago, I wouldn't have been able to get my feet into something like these, forget trying to walk. Now, I can go a full day in them at work, walk around, run to the bathroom, meetings etc. without killing my feet, my back or my legs.

2. Space between my thighs: Jeff took a photo of me in all green the other day and the first thing my sister said was, hey you can see between your legs. Well, you know how she meant it :-) And, it's nice to walk without hearing that swish swish sound, y'all know exactly what I am talking about.


3. Fitting into seats: My car seat, my work chair, airplane seats, movie theater seats, amusement park ride seats, name a seat and you got it. I don't feel like a beached whale trying to fit into a toddler's stroller anymore. Last week, I got into my car, looked down and saw half my seat. A year ago, not so much.

4. Self consciousness: Well, I am still pretty self conscious but now I think it's because of the bad fashion choices maybe, not because I look like a beached whale trying to fit into a kid's stroller. I don't feel like everyone's looking at me to try and see how the hell am I going to make it through the turnstile or the revolving doors.

5. I can run: I might not look pretty or graceful but I don't look like a beached whale running while trying to fit into a toddler's stroller. A couple weeks ago, Jeff and I were leaving to go somewhere and we had a bag of trash to be taken out. The dumpster's about 500 feet away, for which I usually throw the trashbag in my car and drive it up if I am on my way out. I told Jeff he could meet me in the car up there and I'd walk it up. I ran that trash up and beat Jeff and his car! And, I was barely out of breath. And, that was some heavy m-effing trash.

4 comments:

Larraine said...

Great shoes! I would love to be able to wear high heels. I couldn't wear them when I was young and slim. For some reason the balls of my feet simply couldn't take the pressure. A friend who has also had the surgery was excited about shopping for a new dress and heels for a wedding. She said the heels aren't high, but they are definitely heels. I don't know if I'll get past kitten heels, but I'm willing to give it a try. AS for the rest of your post, all I can say is AWESOME! I'll be having double knee joint replacement surgery in July. By September, according to the book the doctor gave me, I should be able to walk without a cane and do virtually everything. I asked my husband if he would take dance lessons with me. He is not very coordinated, but there is a little bit of Billy Elliot in him. Wouldn't THAT be great!

Syl said...

My hubby has no rhythm but he's willing to take dance lessons with me :)

Kim said...

It's amazing what that surgery can do for us, isn't it? I'm about 18 months out and I feel amazing. What is even more amazing is that I enjoy exercise...for the most part!

Syl said...

Kim, I KNOW! I never thought I'd get up at 5:30 just so I could go run on the treadmill before work!