Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The first sickness



Sunday, our little bugaboo woke up feeling warm to me, so I took his temperature and it was a 100. I gave him some Tylenol, and kept him quiet. I called the after hours nurse at his pediatrician's office and was told to not give any more medicine unless the temperature went past 102. Ok.


Kept checking his temp, our Braun in-ear thermometer gave us widely fluctuating readings. Around noon, it started reading 101.3 and I thought he was burning up worse than that. So, we took him to Convenient Care. His temperature was 103. When the nurse said that, I started crying in the room. I felt horrible. He was being so good and I couldn't even imagine how uncomfortable he had to be. I know I am pretty pissy at that high of a fever.


Then, they did his check-up and found a right ear infection and his strep test came back positive. The poor guy! They gave him a dose of Tylenol right there and gave us Amoxicillin. He pretty much spent all Sunday like that photo on the left, either on me, on the couch or in his crib. Thankfully, he slept very well that night an was feeling a 1000 times better by Monday.


As you can see, he had to have the iPad and the remote control in his hands, so he was picking up the Cheerios with his mouth.

We did a follow up at his pediatrician's office and his fever was already gone.

Well, he's been in daycare for 8 some months, so our little buckaroo had a good run. But, just like last year, I hope if he has to bring home germs, he just passes them on to me and not keep them for himself. Seeing your little baby helpless and crying and confused was possibly the worst thing ever in my life.

No comments: