Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Math problem?

I am at the McDonalds' drive thru. I get a small coffee and my total is $1.06. I hand the young lady $1.26. She looks at it, looks at her screen, enters something on her lvoely touch screen, opens her till, puts my money in there and closes it. She looks at me like, "can I help you with something?"

I ask politely, "My total was $1.06, right?" she nods. I say, "I'm sorry but I gave you $1.26." It's only 20 cents but now it's an issue of principle. The cash register would have told you what my change should be if you'd punched in the right amount.

She tries opening her till unsuccessfully and tells me to ask the guy at the next window where I get my food. I drive up to the next window and tell him she owes me 20 cents but told me to ask him yadda yadda yadda. He yells back at her in Spanish; they have some sort of back and forth and he comes back with change in his fist. I take it and start driving away.

I open my wallet to put it in and notice they gave me 16 cents back. It's not even the 4 cents; I mean really it's not going to break my bank. But, WTH?

No comments: