Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snow day injury

This was the first time this winter we needed to dig our cars out. I spent about 45 minutes the first day (Thursday, I think), digging my car out after the first set of snow was done. About 13 inches of snow behind my car, on the sides and atop it. My muscles ached. My right hand hurt from holding the handle. My shoulders screamed form lifting and dumping.

But, that's not what caused an injury.

Then, the ice came. Jeff and I went out Friday and spent an hour and a half (more him than me), and now shoveled heavy ice laden snow. The middle of the road in front of our condo was iced over and I had to cross that, holding the shovel full of snow and ice. Slipped a couple times, doing a weird dance. My hands froze from picking up huge chunks of ice and snow and throwing them to the side.

The shovel gave up it's life but, I didn't hurt myself then.

Then, my parents, Oli and I spent hours Friday buying grocers, 3 stores for tat. Then, I dropped off my parents at DSW to replace my dad's stolen sneakers while I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to replace the broken shovel. I bought 3 (steel tipped, non-steel tipped and one for Oli, of course). Ran through a parking lot with 3 shovels, sloshing through slush.

I might have looked crazy but I didn't get hurt there.

Then, I went back to DSW to see if dad found shoes. I walked in fast, almost running through the aisle, trying to get to the coveted clearance section.

That's when I smacked my right knee into the metal corner of a bench, and hurt myself. Pain this morning from knee to hip.

So, in the middle of crazy snow/ice storms, I get hurt running through a shoe store.

Only me.

No comments: