Wednesday, January 03, 2018

A year later ...

Wow, It's been an entire year since I posted, not even sure anybody's listening anymore! What with Facebook and Twitter giving people a forum to spit out viewpoints and rebuttals quickly and succinctly, do people still blog anymore? Well, I am going to try and do it again!


Let's start with where we left off. The jar of questions to get your kid to talk; it was awesome! He loved the idea! We started with a question a day when we'd have dinner together, and we went through all the questions, and he wanted to do it again! So, we threw them all back in, and restarted!


2018! I can't believe it. I can't believe I survived 40, finished a lot of my 40by40 goals (didn't lose the weight though ugh, more on that later), and am staring 41 in the face!


So, 2018, no new goals, no new resolutions. Same old ones:
  • Try to do good every day
  • Stand up for myself and mine
  • Stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves
  • Be more vocal in my standing up
  • Speak up against prejudice wherever I see it, whether it's overt stereotyping or the use of words irresponsibly
  • Teach my son to do the same
  • Take more time to tell my loved ones how much they mean to me
  • Make more phone calls (ok, maybe start with more texts)
  • Limit social media
So, to that effect, and to be successful at all of that, I've deleted my Facebook account. For now. I can't not have it, for the simple reason that we have family and dearest of friends spread wide across the US and the world, and it is the most effective way right now to keep in touch with them.  Also the reason I keep it as locked down as I can; if I don't friend you, you can't find me. When I come back, there will be some cleaning up there too. If we are local and haven't seen each other in months, are we really "friends?" I don't need or want my private thoughts and my public activity and my family's activities to be viewed by so called acquaintances. We can hang otherwise. We can email and text and go to Happy Hours. Facebook is very private to me though and not open to everyone I come in contact with.


In just 2 days without FaceBook, I have read 2 books, cooked a couple new meals from scratch, enjoyed lengthy hot showers without wondering what was newly updated, and have avoided running into pillars. ;-)




Next goal: write more and react less!

No comments: