Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Intolerance

I was accused of being intolerant on an online board today. Why? Because I stated that I did not want to be proselytized to. Dictionary.com defines intolerance as a "lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc." 



How is me not wanting to discuss my views with a religious person intolerance? Am I telling them their beliefs are wrong? No. Am I telling them my beliefs are superior to theirs? No. I just wish to be left alone with my beliefs just as I leave everyone else alone with theirs. How's that intolerant? 

This isn't a my way or the highway argument. I have my way, you have your way, she has her way and he has his way. I am not saying anybody's way is wrong. But, very specifically, in the case of religion, I did not get to 35 without having a very solid belief in my way. But, that's my belief. I am in no way saying everyone else's is wrong. I have even said if Oliver wants to explore another way, he's free to do so. He wants to attend mass in a church, sure. He wants to learn the Torah, ok. Depending on whether that specific religion will let him do so, he is free to choose and learn about whatever religion or faith he wants to as he grows up.  

I am not refusing to respect other religious beliefs, I am just requesting they not be foisted on me or screamed into my face. Intolerance would be if I get in their face and tell them they are wrong without listening to their reasons for believing. Intolerance is telling me I am going to hell because I don't believe in your savior. I have no issues with everyone believing in whatever they want to, including but not limited to Jesus, the Prophet, the thousand of Hindu deities, the Easter bunny, the North Pole Santa factory, the incredible cuteness of my shoes, it's all individual choice. It's live and let live. That's my philosophy. And isn't that the ultimate tolerance?

No comments: