Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Couch to 5K

As part of the training for the Baltimore Women's Classic 5K on June 27th, my friend Brenda and I have been getting to work at 6 a.m. every day. Every other day, we work out in the morning at the gym here. The first 2 weeks, we just sprt of walked/ran without any plan. and, I got bored. If you know me, I get bored without a plan. Which meant, that any motivation I might have ahd was about to fly out the window. So, I decided to change things up. And, thankfully, Brenda was all about sticking with me.

I had looked up the Couch to 5K plan last year but without any plans to do a 5K, it hadn't appealed to me. Well, now that we're registered for the 5K and people are actually donating money for us to drag our butts 3.1 miles down the road, I decided maybe it was time. I looked it up last Friday, found the chart online and yesterday was our first day of the first week of that training. I was very surprised to find out that we did ok. 5 minute walk, followed by repetitions of 1 minute run/1.5 minutes walk for 20 minutes, then cooldown. We do that tomorrow and Friday. I think I underestimated us.

Next Monday, we move up to 1.5 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of walking for those 20 minutes. I'll update the blog after our workout if we're not lying in a heap behind the treadmills ;-)

No comments: