Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Teach Your Children Well

Another song from our baby shower CD, by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young:

You, who are on the road must have a code that you can live by.
And so become yourself because the past is just a good bye.
Teach your children well, their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams, the one they picked, the one you're known by.
Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of the tender years can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your years, they seek the truth before they can die.
Teach your parents well, their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams, the one they picked, the one you're known by.
Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Look at my 7 month old, look at that precious face. I really hope that I do a good job of mothering so after his terrible twos and threes (and maybe fours, who knows?), after his hating me teen years, through his dating years and beyond, he knows that I love him. 

How can I not look at that face, that smile that appears when he sees Jeff or me and not believe that he loves us? I hope, in the same vein, he can look at us and know that we love him. Unconditionally.

No comments: