Monday, January 13, 2014

Taking charge of my health

Once again, I find myself fighting my own body. 1200 calorie diet? check. Crazy workout classes? check. Go to the gym everyday? check. Lose weight? hahahahahaha. No, instead I gained weight the last few months. Now, I am no saint, I drink beer, I eta chocolates. But, I did all that within my calorie constraints, most of the time. There might have been 1 bad day per 2 weeks. I don't think that deserves a weight gain of 20 lbs, do you?

So, tired of fighting my own body, I am consulting an expert. A nutritionist who deals with health issues that are a direct result of your diet. So, she starts you off with a clean diet - no dairy, no gluten, no caffeine, no sugar, no alcohol, no soda, no a bunch of other things. I don't have my plan yet but I decided to start it off myself. Since, I don't want my body to go into super shock on the 18th when I actually begin it.
  • Last Friday, I went off caffeine cold turkey, no coffee, no tea, no soda. You don't realize how dependent you have become on something till you give it up. And, till you get stabbing pains behind your eye, like some tiny ice pick being jammed into your brain matter. 
  • Now that I am over that, today I am giving up straight sugars. So, candy, chocolate, etc. Not the hidden ones yet, I need to learn how to read labels first. I froze all my favorite See's chocolates that I brought back from CA. To be opened sometime this summer mmmm.
  • Next will be dairy, starting tomorrow. I say tomorrow because I already had cheese on my breakfast sandwich this morning. And, that's pretty much all the dairy I eat besides the creamer for my coffee. And I already gave that up. I don't like milk or yogurt. And I eat 1/4 cup of ice cream every 4-5 months.
So, by the time the nutritionist sends me the meal plan and my grocery list, I think gluten will be the major thing to give up. I was so sure that would be easy, in my head I thought oh I can give up pasta and bread. I don't eat much of it anyways. Then, I happened to read the label on my soy sauce ... gluten. So, remembering to read every label and finding the hidden gluten will be hard.

Oh, and I think the red meat will be hard too. I like my beef y'all. I could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

So, my apologies if I am a raging wildebeest (which I just found out is a gnu, so where did this phrase originate from but I digress) the week of January 19. It's all for better health and finding out which foods are affecting my body negatively.

It better not be beef.

No comments: